Friday, July 11, 2008

"A Camping We Will Go..."

Or rather, already gone and come back! For the July 4 weekend we geared up for a 67 hour sweatfest out in Henderson, Texas...or Tatum Texas...one or the other. A long time ago I heard this comedian talking about camping. He was saying "You know, I don't get why people go camping. When the caveman moved out of the cave and into the castle, it's not like he thought to himself 'Hey, let's go back to the cave and sleep!'" But, for whatever reason one would choose to do it, it can be a nice break from the techno world we have created for ourselves. Did you know raccoons not only enjoy marshmallows, they will steal them from you? That story a little later. Here are a few pics of God's wonder:

CIMG0738
John: "So you see, by placing my hands in the center of our gas grill, I can tell that it has reached the optimal cooking temperature of 300 degrees."
Me: "Um, isn't that burning your hands?"
John: "More then you can imagine!"
Cindy: "I didn't know skin could get that red."

CIMG0750
Cari: "Peek-a-boo! I see you!"
Me: "Yeah, I see that...you look spooky, stop doing that."

CIMG0752
Me: "Hey guys, have you discovered anything new here in the woods?"
Emmy: "We sure have! So far we've discovered fifteen species of insects that feed off human blood!"
Zach: "Someone please spray me with some friggin' Off!"

CIMG0769
But after it was all over and we came home, nothing said welcome back like a cool shower and our own beds! And I pretty mcuh summed up the story about the raccoons stealing our marshmallows, therefore preventing us from making S'Mores! But we made them the next night!

All in all, I proved that I could rough it the way our pioneer ancestors could. As long as I have a battery-powered fan and shower and restroom facilities within walking distance. And a gas grill. And a Family Dollar five minutes away.

No comments: