Saturday, June 28, 2008

"I Write The Songs..."

...that make the world, something something. Or however Manilow worded it. Music has always been an influental part of my life ever since I was handed down an old...and I mean OLD...clock radio back when I was 11. Of course, it only got AM stations, and of all of those, only country came in clear on it. So, I became a country music fan for a while. Then while I was in Canada, I had another radio but the only station that came in decent was the oldies station. So I became a fan of that for a while. When we came home in 1990 I was in my room (which was in fact the utility room, don't ask me how I got fast-talked into giving up my room for THAT) listening to the oldies station when it hit me: I'm a teen-ager, I should be listening to something harder, edgier, so I turned the dial (yes, we had dials back then) until I found "Y95", today's top rock. And the rest is history. I think Y95 became Power 95 then it was a Spanish station, now today it's 94.9 KLTY Christian music. What a journey eh?

The following are some songs that always take me back to a time in my life when it wasn't so bad:

1. "Take Me For A Little While" by Coverdale/Page.
- This whole album is great, but this one song I always listened to whenever I was driving up to Braum's at 5:15 in the morning to work the breakfast shift. I still remember the smell of that place with the grease and the hashbrowns and pancakes. When I was there they barely had any kind of grocery items, but now it's exploded into dinners, fresh fruit, etc. I knew I didn't want to work there for the rest of my life, but I enjoyed it I guess. Once, it was 3pm and it was time for me to split and no one was getting ready to work the drive-thru, so I just left and let them worry about it. To this day I still think about if it was pandemonium that day.

2. "The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight" by REM.
-I got this for my 18th birthday (cassette tape) and just about played the heck out of it. I mentioned this earlier, how one day during senior mid-terms I only had two exams and was out of school by 10am. No car meant I had to walk home, and it was a beautiful crisp morning, and I stopped my McDonald's and picked up some breakfast and went home and enjoyed the peace. Well, this song happened to be playing while I was walking home. I love listening to this album when it's cold.

3. "Along Comes Mary" by The Association.
-I mentioned last week how one of my favourite memories was going to Toys R Us when we would come home from Canada on summer vacation and I would get some baseball cards. Well, one time this song was playing, and me being the oldies nut that I was, thought it was pretty good. I don't seem to hear it at all these days now, but when I do it always takes me back.

I'm sure there are lots of other songs that do something for me, but it's early in the morning and Emmy is informing me of the intricacies of "ICarly". Zach hasn't felt well at all this week. But he just got up and seems to be a little livlier. Wouldn't expect anything less of him.

No comments: