Friday, October 27, 2006

"They Say It's Your Birthday!..."

...it's my birthday too yeah! Okay, so I have to wait till December 8 for my big ol' 32, but Zach will be turning the big 0-1! I am still in shock that the last year has gone by so fast, but it definitely has been interesting having him around as a kind of yang to Emmy's yin. Both of them are very different, but they compliment each other very well. Sometimes I just get this feeling that both of them will like different things and not have much in common. Only time will tell I guess. I know me and my sister Keri had nothing in common. Nothing. Except arguing. We were never shown the importance of working together and being a team during those tumultous teenage years. So we tended not to talk about anything which continues to this day. It just seems like it wouldn't matter to any of us if the other wasn't around. Not that I want anything to happen to her, but say she gets a job opportunity in Europe or something. I'd be like "Okay, have fun" and not be affected by it. And I know she'd be the same way. She's kind of selfish and shallow, but that's how she was raised. She was always the favorite and whatever she wanted, she got. Each time. Every time. Made me feel like crap and it always seemed like no one cared. This will never happen to my kids. Never.

Detroit is down 3-1 in the World Series. Can they win it? Probably not. No one on that team other then Pudge Rodriguez has much postseason experience. But hey, they gave it a shot right? I remember the Simpsons episode where Mr. Burns brought in major leaguers to win his softball game vs. Shelbyville, one of them being Darryl Strawberry. Later, Homer complains that Darryl is "bigger then me, faster then me, and already has more friends around the plant then I do." to which Bart says "You're the one who told me I could do anything if I just put my mind to it!" to which Homer replies "No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." Bart then says "Gotcha, can't win, don't try". That's not a good thing to teach your kids...if it was then nothing would have been accomplished.

Emily: "Daddy, how come all fo our laundry baskets are falling apart?"
Me: "Well...it has something to do with kids climbing in them constantly."
Zach: "I knew he'd blame us for that eventually."

No comments: