Friday, January 19, 2007

"Wizard World Is Coming!"

This is something I'm actually thinking of going to. You can click on the title to find out more but in the meantime I'll fill you in. It actually doesn't come around here until November but hey, it'll be here before you know it. Pretty much anything and everything comic-book related will be here. Artists, memorabilia, etc. will all be under one roof, which just happens to be about 15 minutes from my house! Now I know I've never really expressed an interest in this kind of thing. The toys were always numero uno for me. But I've been thinking of getting back into collecting. When I was a kid, I had several comics of varying titles and genres but never jumped headfirst into the huge cult following surrounding them. I remember an A-team comic I had from 1984 that had a movie banner for a movie called "Thrashin'" starring Josh Brolin. Now the movie wasn't anything great but if you are a child of the 80's like me you look back on it fondly and remember when it was fun being a kid.

When I was 14 and living in Toronto Canada our hustory class went on a field trip to the historic downtown area to see how the city had evolved from the old-style housing to the more modern houses. However, I was young and impressionable and two other kids were deviating from the beaten path and were going to go sightseeing. I had a choice...and I decided to go with them. We walked about a half a mile and found this old comic book/baseball card shop. It was so cool, with its' wooden walls and posts and mustiness. We checked out the upstairs and downstairs and for the life of me I don't remember what I bought but I know it was something. We left and rejoined everyone for lunch. When I got home like an idiot I told my mom that we pretty much missed the lesson and the was so mad. I had to create this "diary" of what it was like back at the turn of the century pretty much from memory. Well, to make a long story short (too late I know) I wound up getting an A on it based mostly on my creativity to make a little information look like a lot ha ha.

I went to bed that night thinking that was the greatest day of my life. However, it really wasn't until lately just how great it was. I hope heaven lets us relive those days because for the life of me I wish I could remember more about that day.

There's a comic strip called Pluggers and it's all about how older people operate in today's hi-tech world. One in particular had a picture of a grandfather/grandson sitting on a porch swing as the sun is setting and the caption read:

"Pluggers know that time cannot be saved or borrowed - it can only be spent, so spend it wisely."

Too cool.

What was your favorite day?

No comments: