Monday, November 10, 2008

"One Great Day!!"

This was, literally, one of the most fun days I have had in a while. The temperature was a perfect 70 degrees, and our company picnic at Six Flags meant that there were hardly any lines for all of the rides, so we zipped in and zipped out as we pleased. I rode a few things too. I say this because I'm a bit of a coward when it comes to the big, bigger rides. Even the Sombrero freaks me out a little, and I've been riding that for 25 years! We stopped by Johnny Rocket's Hamburgers for lunch (on the house) and man they took care of us! Which was good because we were starving:

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008

Zach: "Hey man...these fries are like totally far out..."
Me: "Who are you, George Carlin?"
Zach: "Who?"
Me: "I must remember to mention pop culture references that you're familiar with...which is what, Barney and the Wiggles?"
Zach: "You know it daddio."

Okay, time for a ride! One ride that kids and parents can enjoy is the antique cars on the track. Emmy shuttled me and Zach around while Cari and Emmy's friend Amanda followed us. here we are waiting in line (the one of the like three lines we had to wait in):

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Emmy: "Hey Dad, how fast are these cars going?"
Me: "Lemme check the radar gun...six...six miles an hour. Just watch that rubber burn"
Zach: "Where did you get a radar gun anyway?"
Employee in the background: "Vanilla Ice Ice Baby...oh yeah..."

Part of the fun of coming to Six Flags is meeting all the Looney Tunes characters! Here we see Sylvester the Cat posing for a picture:

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Zach: "Hey Dad, this giant cat makes a great backscratcher!"
Me: "Stop rubbing up against the entertainers son."
Emmy: "Can I stop smiling yet? My cheeks are throbbing!"
Sylvester: "Seriously man, get your kid off me before he wears a hole in my suit."

Then we went up the giant red tower that oversees the park, the district and most of the county. Even though the outside was sealed off with chain link fence, we all felt a little nervous being so high up...except for this guy:

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Zach: "Hey Dad, what would happen if I drop this leaf down on the park?"
Me: "Well, it would pick up so much speed that it would go right through someone's arm if timed right."
Zach: "So you're saying I shouldn't drop this then?"
Me: "I didn't say that."

One of our favourite rides is the parachutes which take you up, up, up so high and then softly drop you back down to Earth. But for me, I think I had a panic attack up there. Seriously! I was terrified for my life as I was dangling up there with nothing protecting me but the bucket seat:

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Seriously...it's real high up.

What trip would be complete without a visit to some of the fine patrons who attempt to fleece us from thy gold by displaying their wares in such a manner that it would be a crime to not pay for them:

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Now this one I wouldn't mind having around.

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Zach: "Dad, why is Bugs Bunny wearing a Batman grandmaster hat?"
Me: "Well...um..."
Zach: "Nice work there. I'm so much more educated now."

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
Zach: "Hey Dad, will you buy me some great Wiggles merchandise?"
Me: "Are you crazy!? Do you know how much money I've spent on you kids today?"
Zach: "Hey man...I thought your company was picking up the tab on that."
Me: "Oh yeah...well...what I meant to say is, if the company wasn't paying for all of it, do you know how much this would be costing me?"
Zach: "Pretty low Dad...pretty low..."
Me: "Ahh, forget it, have the shopkeeper tally it up!"
Zach: "Shopkeeper? Tally? What are you, 80?"

I even jumped on the carousel and rode a horse...for a little while...Cari advised me I was making it creak due to my portliness. Man, you never heard a plastic (or wooden) horse breathe a sigh of relief then when I dismounted.

Healthmarkets Six Flags Picnic 2008
When I was a kid we never went to Six Flags much. Maybe once a year. Maybe less. It's like $60 for a ticket and $10 to park, so you end up spending $70 and haven't even gotten into the park yet. Our meals were free but they would have been $11 each. For a burger! Wasn't even kobe beef either. Not that I know what that tastes like. I just heard it was pretty good.

Mom is watching the kids this weekend! Cari and I wanna go to a movie but not sure which one. I do know that Thanksgiving weekend me and my bro-in law and his son are going to see Quantam Solace!! Ever since Pierce Brosnan took over the movies got so much better. That's how young I am ha ha.

Christmas is coming closer...closer...closer.

No comments: