Sunday, February 21, 2010

"I'd Like To Make Myself Believe..."

..that Planet Earth...turns...slowly...

And seeing what I bought recently, you'd know exactly what I mean:

Planet Earth DVD Set
Planet Earth DVD Set

OMG this is the coolest thing I have ever watched EVER! What took six years in the making resulted in a view of our wonderful world in a way virtually no one has ever witnessed. Plus, I was able to convert them to MP4 so my iPod Touch could play them! They could have put some uber-high security limit but chose not to. I had no idea how hard it was to live in a desert...or Antarctica...or in a cave...but these animals seem to find a way. Will have to figure out how to get some screenshots on here but you wouldn't believe me if I told you. The saddest one for me was From Pole To Pole. To see what polar bears have to go through just to survive is awful. Now I'll admit that when Noah Wyle came on the television and talked about how polar bears are facing extinction, I was one of probably many who said "Ehh...they just kill people at the zoo, so what's the big deal?" But my attitude seems to have changed some. The male polar bear goes off to find food for the mom and pups and once the winter ice thaws, he has to swim until he finds some. Even though they are graceful swimmers, they can't swim forever. When this particular one finally did find food, it was in the form of sea walruses. Weighing about half a ton each, the polar bear tried to attack some but couldn't even break the skin. In turn, several of them ended up goring him to death with their tusks. Was really hard to watch.

Global warming. Wonderful thing, isn't it? Are we contributing to this? Many say yes, some say no. All I know is that any plastic I might throw away I toss into the recycle bin instead. Plastic does not biodegrade: it photodegrades. Difference? You bet. Photodegrading simply means it breaks down into smaller and smaller pieces but never goes away. I bet it would be for the best to recycle it when we can.

To sum up...it's never a bad thing to be educated.

No comments: