Monday, October 17, 2011

"HOW BOUT THEM RANGERS!!!"

Again??

YES AGAIN!!! For the first time in franchise history, my Texas Rangers are making their first ever repeat trip back to the World Series!! It was one heck of a Game Six against the Tigers. We were down 2-0...and then...they got a hit...and another...and another...and fourteen batters later, we has a 9-2 lead and the game was ours. No Game Seven, no drama, just a flat-out bludgeoning of a team many thought would get past us. But no one gets past us...not without a good beatin'.


No, not my TV. But, I didn't think anyone else had a TV as old as ours ha ha.

Oh man I was looking forward to this game all week. I knew we had this. I would go on Facebook as often as I could and spout my hopefully catching catch-phrase:

WE GOT THIS.

Not bad eh? Last year was "It's Time"...but this year...much better. The St. Louis Cardinals have won the NL pennant so looks like it's us vs. them. No worries...WE GOT THIS.

We've had Rangers-watching parties the last 2 Saturdays. So much fun. Whooping and hollering every time the scored in the 3rd inning. Nine runs in the third inning!! I thought I had lost my voice. Not so good when I have to talk all day.

After Zach's T-Ball game Saturday Emmy and I went out to see my "Mamaw" in Baylor Hospital in Waxahachie. Apparently her sodium levels fell way low which lowered her blood pressure which caused her to pass out and hit her head on a sidewalk! Just thinking about it makes me cringe. Well, after being moved from one hospital to another, she was doing a lot better when we went out there. Mom was there and the four of us had a really nice time talking and catching up. Four generations in one room. There's something to be said for that. I keep thinking about the last time I was in a hospital visiting someone. It was Grandpa, and he never made it out. Hopefully the outcome will be different. Mamaw has really been there for me, pretty much my entire life. All the stupid things I've done, all the bad choices I've made, she always managed to get me out of the dumps and show me there's greater things in store for me. Everything I have I owe to her. A few other people too I'm sure, but mostly her. I'm really glad I got to live with her back in 1995-1997. When Grandpa died the family all told me how glad they were that I was living there to keep her company.

Various 2005 151
Here she is reading "The Cat In The Hat" to Emmy when she was 4. For some reason I don't have a lot of pix of Mamaw on Flickr. Will have to see why.

There's a couple of funny stories about Mamaw I've managed to keep in my head. One I like to tell is when she bought a treadmill, determined to lose weight. Well, she would get on there and walk about 30 minutes, towel around her head and all. Afterwards, she'd go out to the freezer and get out the butter pecan ice cream and have some of that. After a week she'd weigh herself and grumble, "Why can't I lose any weight!?" I was hoping she'd put 2 and 2 together at some point.

The other is one day she went to Sam's and bought a 24-ct of Dr Pepper for us. Well, she left it on the bottom of the cart and went home without it. So there, in the parking lot, sat a brand new case of Dr Pepper. I wasn't home until later and when I came in the door I hear this whole story about how we didn't have them but we almost did. We pondered going back up to Sam's and looking for them but they were probably long gone. Ah well.

Zach's birthday is coming up! We went to Toys R Us yesterday so he could make a list of sorts so I could send it out to various family members. So far we've gotten:

Angry Birds toys
Annoying Orange shirt
Alien Conquest Legos
Uncle Milton 3D star theater
Star Wars Night Vision Goggles
Pokemon Oshawatt with red/white ball
Spynet Video Watch
Phnieas and Ferb walkie talkies
Squinkies
Hot Wheels Wall Tracks

Here he is trying out a giant magnifying glass:



Man, quite a list for a soon-to-be 6 year old! At least he knows what he wants. We're trying to plan a Chuck E Cheese party, but man, $200.00? I bet he's worth it. I hope Zach and Emmy know what they mean to me. It seems like they never grow up, then grow up way too fast. What's that all about?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

awsome site it looks like you and your daughter love each other