Friday, March 01, 2013

"Tell us More, Mr. Science!"

Yes, I stole a line from "The Hamptons" episode of Seinfeld as a pre-cursor to the time of a kid's school career when they must do...

A science experiment.

Emmy and Cari and me discussed a lot of possibilities, and then we came up with a pretty cool one: get four yellow pansies, plant them in different pots, then water them with a different liquid and see which one does the most damage and one with the least damage. And here they are:

Emily 6th Grade Science Experiment

We diluted water with Tylenol capsules!

Emily 6th Grade Science Experiment

Vinegar! Man this stuff stinks.

Emily 6th Grade Science Experiment

Coffee!! People say coffee grounds are good for plants, so we shall see!

And finally...

Emily 6th Grade Science Experiment

Root beer!! I think the carbonation might be a little more than a plant can handle.

So far the vinegar seems to be the absolute worst thing to give a plant...like...ever. I'll have some new pictures next week so we will see what the damage is. Of course, the project took a major detour in its' progress as we had a visitor come to us via our fireplace. A bird? Nope. A squirrel!! That's right, a renegade squirrel managed to work its way into our previously bird-proof cage that John and I had wired shut a few years ago and got stuck behind the fireplace! It managed to get out and live behind our computer desk for like 2 weeks with no one noticing, until I got home one night and all of Emmy's plants were knocked over. Apparently it tried to get through the kitchen window and couldn't. We managed to get it out with Branda and Jerramy's help but the darn thing just would not leave! Finally it did, and as it scampered out the front door all I could think was, I used to think you guys were cute. And now...vicious, cold blooded killers. Dumb though. No wonder you see squirrel pancakes all over the street.

I remember in 6th grade we had to do a science experiment. I did something with water and boiling it and when you boiled it then cooled it real fast it made fog inside a bottle. Gaw was that 26 years ago? Anyways...dumb me put a plastic water pitcher on a hot plate and no one noticed until I picked it up and all this blue goo started oozing from it. Oh geez...I really wish I possessed common sense when I was a kid. We all say it, but if we knew then what we know now...(sigh).

No comments: