Saturday, June 16, 2007

"More Than Meets The Toys"

Now that July 4 is getting closer, I really think this Transformers Movie is really going to happen! For the few of you who know me...and it really is a few...I have been anticipating this since there was news about it last year. Has it already been a year? I guess it has! Anyhoo...I finally saw a commercial for it and I must say my curiousity has definitely been aroused. So I took a trip to the local Toys R Us and lo and behold, they definitely went all out to make this look like a big deal:









As you can see, they were almost as excited as I was. Of course, they stand to make a little bit of a profit from all these toys. At least I hope they do. Wouldn't want them to file for bankruptcy or anything right? I will post what I have bought either on this page or my Ultimate Toy Collection one. So far I have five of them and if I get anymore it will take some more gift cards from work.

But this week hasn't been just about new toys and movies. Back in 2005 I posted about an old friend who I hadn't seen in nearly five years. But Navid wasn't just some friend. This was someone who reached out because he saw something special in me that everyone else seemed to miss. He got me out of my hermit shell and showed me a world (or at least a metroplex) that I didn't know existed. So I decided to search for him. I actually had started in 2004 but it had been a year with no luck. So, with that, I reluctantly decided to give up. You can read the post here but here is a little snippet of that:

...I am officially giving up trying to rebuild any bridge that was ever there to begin with. I have thought a lot about Navid over the last year to the point of remorse, and life is too short to do that. As an official farewell, I will say that the times we had together have truly helped make me a better person and I wouldn't trade any of them in.

Moving on...last Sunday I was surfing when I thought about him so I decided to try one last time...for old time's sake...to see if he was out there...somewhere. And sure enough...I found a message board he had posted to earlier this year and it had a new e-mail address. So I sent him one. And not two days later did he respond. Turns out he lives not 15 minutes from me and he has been there the whole time. We met at Mimi's Cafe Thursday and it was like time had stood still. Six and a half years had gone by but we didn't feel it. We caught up about everything and as it turns out he's having a baby due next...March? Maybe April. All I could tell him was "Get ready to stop sleeping" ha ha.

Now we have each other's cell #'s and word we will never let that much time go by anymore. I don't know how many friends he has but as for me...it's not many. At least in real life. I regret many things I have said and done in my life but losing touch with Navid takes the cake. It's hard to put into words what it felt like to hang out together but I truly believe it is what made me want to be the best dad I can be. I don't have any brothers but this should do just fine.

No comments: