Friday, June 01, 2007

"Remember The Ice Cream Man?"

Boy, I sure do! One of my favourite memories was hearing the familiar music jingling down the street. Usually it was "The Entertainer" or the "Popeye" theme song (eccentric choices, I know). Used to be 75 cents back in the day which was a lot when you only made $1 a week "allowance" for backbreaking chores around the house. Well, fortunately, there's a truck that is starting to come around a bit in our cul-de-sac so the kids can enjoy the magic. And enjoy they did. They ate...


and ate...


and ate...


Afterwards we hosed them down!

We have this restaraunt called the Rain Forest Cafe here. I don't know if anyone else has it. I'm sure they do, but I don't know where. Anyhoo...we went there on Memorial Day as we were all off. You can click on the link to see more but here's a few shots:


This is what part of the ceiling looks like. The flash of the camera took away a little of the 'mystique' but there's stars and some shooting stars as well.


This is a huge waterfall near the back. Emmy asked me if I had a penny to throw in the wishing pond and I said something to the effect of "Who do I look like, Rockefeller?" She then asked if I was always this broke or if I ever had money in my life to which I replied "Yeah, at one point...I don't remmeber exactly when..."


Zach: "Hey Dad, what kind of fish are these?"

Me: "I think these are the...rainus forestus fishus species son."

Zach: "Hmm...I think you're just making that up...but how can I prove it..."

Emmy: "Of course he's making that up! He can't be serious!"

Me: "Quiet you."


And finally, my mom got some kittens this week. The kids may even enjoy playing with them. Ever try kitty bowling? You need a really slick floor and some lightweight bowling pins (empty 20 oz. bottles work best). Take the kitty, slide him (or her) down the floor and try to get a strike. The way I see it, it's not animal cruelty. Ever see the look on a cat's face as they're hurdling out of control? They're havin' the time of their lives!

I still remember getting together with the other kids who lived around me everytime we heard the ice cream truck comin'. If only we had known then that this would be one memory we would take with us. I always got the Pink Panther one 'cuz it had a piece of gum waiting for me when it was all said and done. If you didn't have enough money your only choice was the FunDip where you would suck on the candy stick then dip it in the powdered stuff and get a sort of a buzz in the process. With as many diabetic kids as there are, it's a miracle there aren't more lol. Whoever thought of using sugar to eat more sugar was a genius...or Satan. What did you buy from the ice cream man?

No comments: