Friday, August 24, 2007

"I Have A Dream..."

...and what a dream it was! It was actually last week and usually I forget what they were after a couple of days. But this one is not going away so easily. Apparently...myself and several parents were attending a field trip for Emily's class. But we didn't know what for until the special guest arrived and it was none other then Mike Greenberg of Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio 103.3FM, which I am an avid listener ever morning on the way to work. We were all going to be joining them for that day's radio show and it was going to be at Disneyworld! How we were going to get there that fast is beyond me, but that is neither here nor there. So as we're leaving the classroom, something gets my attention and I find myself losing track of time. I then realize I need to hurry if I'm going to make the ferry boat (which is how we're getting there). So I'm running as fast as I can and I get to the dock and it's pulling out of the bay. I'm literally heartbroken. One, because Emily is on this boat and I'm not, and two, I have missed the opportunity to meet my favourite radio team. So I'm watching the boat disappear, and I start walking back, and who do I see but Emily, waiting there for me and missing the boat herself in the process. I gave her a big hug and I'm looking at her and it's so real, and all of a sudden I wake up. Was kind of weird but was nice that it had a happy ending.



Photo moments like this are darn near impossible, so I gotta get em while I can.

I have a job opportunity I'm attending next Wednesday. It's in Bedford (heckuva lot closer then Richardson), more pay, no weekends (which hopefully means no holidays). I say opportunity because it's not so much as an interview but more of a meeting to see if they like the cut of my jib (don't ask me what that means lol). What's great is it starts the day after this office closes down which could not be any more perfect. I feel like such an underachiever working here sometimes, mostly because the pay is so much lower then what everyone else in the world pays. This new job would be $14/hour plus an incentive plan. It's not that I hate working here...I just hate working here for what I am paid. Will I miss it here? Maybe...but I also thought I'd miss being in high school at some point and here it has been 14 years and I still cringe at the thought of reliving those times.

But it wasn't all bad.

I have several great memories in my noggin, one of which is senior midterms. Not taking the test itself, mind you. That would just be weird. But they were broken up into two days and the first day I only had two exams and they were both over by 10am. I didn't even know this until I checked afterwards. No car and no bus means I had to walk it, as I usually did after school. I put on my headphones and queued up REM's "Automatic For The People", went by McDonald's and got some breakfast, and walked home and just hung out all day. Looking back, this was one of the very few great days of my three years at Duncanville High. The rest of it was constant teasing from 10th grade gym class that became so mean-spirited that I would fantasize about bringing a gun to school and just shooting each and every kid in that class. Now of course I would never actually go through with that...but just for a moment each morning, it brought a sense of relief. I used to pray every day before I got on the bus that they would just leave me alone. But it never happened. I read about kids who bring their parent's gun to school because they truly hate whoever they plan to shoot and I think "Shocked? Yeah...but not surprised." Because I was that kid back in 1990 who if given the means to do it, I may have gone through with it. Who knows really. But I carried that sub-level of self-esteem and confidence into my working years and only lately have I gotten over it. I tell myself that I can be an asset to my company instead of a benchwarmer.

Found a box full of neat things couple of weeks ago...here's one:



Looking back, I really don't remember a lot of the negative stuff of school. More of the positives...just wish there were more.

No comments: