Thursday, December 18, 2008

"Oh The Times...They are a-changin'..."

Seems like in the past I always put what I wanted for Christmas ahead of what other people wanted. Which is natural I guess, right? It's good to put ourselves first every now and then. The problem occurs when we stay in that train of thought too long and other things that should come first get pushed to the side. But this Christmas has been kind of different. I hate to say this about money, but it really does make the world go round. We didn't have a lot of it last year due to me not working, but it was still a great Christmas. Now this year we have significantly more then last year, but we're not doing anything different. Still looking for bargains, still keeping in mind not to go overboard because, and this is a secret about kids you may not have heard, they lose interest in things very quickly. So why get them everything under the sun and it all be for naught? I recently let Emily in on a Santa secret, which is the Santa at the mall is not in fact the real Santa. She was like "Really?". I did explain however that they work for Santa and represent him in the different malls of the world. I would rather her hear that from me then overhear someone say something that isn't true, right?

I LOVE my new camcorder!! It creates a new file everytime you turn the camera off so if you want to play back a certain part you don't have to forage your way through hours of tape. Instead you scroll to the scene you want and hit play and presto! I wanted this more then anything else, but it wasn't really for me personally. It was more for capturing the kids while they are kids so they never forget how to be kids when they are older. There's a tape of me out there somewhere as a kid and it never fails to entertain me. We would set up the projector and make a little snack plate and all gather around and watch the silent images flicker and it was just a nice time. I used to be so cute. And now...ehh. I'm not so bad though. Even with my crooked nose.

I've really been getting into the whole Facebook thing. There's tons of people I haven't seen in forever that we can stay in touch at our own speed. Which for me is s-l-o-o-o-w ha ha. My thought is, if we were really that close we never would have lost touch in the first place. But maybe that's not entirely fair. Or accurate. If things never changed, would life be any fun? The human race is probably the only species around that is not able to be content with what is around them. We always need to be making little changes, rearranging things, and as that goes, so does what we like, what we don't like, what we are willing to tolerate and what we aren't. Every other species knows only how to survive, and in order to do that, they rely on habit, hence the saying 'creatures of habit'. If we were that way, we would all drive the same car, live in the same house, and eat the same thing for dinner, because we would be surviving, and nothing more. But, fortunately for us, God gave us the gift of free will. The ability to make choices about everything around us, and then to change our mind. For me personally, I find myself rearranging my garage shelves (at least in my mind) constantly. I want to make them more in order, more perfect. Sometimes it's just good to have that option. Creativity drives the world forward, not money. When I was poor I would tell myself "Hey, I don't need a nice car or a nice house, etc..." But deep down I wanted all of those things. I guess when we can't have something we try to convince ourselves that we never really wanted it anyway. Kind of like the fox who couldn't have the grapes. man, that Aesop had a story about everything lol.


Let this be your Christmas message to everyone.

No comments: