Friday, December 05, 2008

"The Worst Gift Ever?"

This was the question posed to listeners of 1037 LiteFM the other night. I was driving home and people were calling in and telling stories of the worst gift they had ever received. I caught a few but the one that really took the cake was a gift from her inlaws: a VHS tape collection titled: "How To Save Your Marriage". OMG! In-laws got cajones' yes? I was blown away when I heard this. Why is it that some inlaws think your business is their business anyway? Marriage is hard enough without spectators watching at home and thinking, "I bet they really want to hear what I have to say about their life." Some day my Emmy will be married and I wonder if I will be a good father-in-law to her husband. What if she marries a slacker? What if everything about him is bad and Emmy just can't see it? Do I say something? I hate to instill 'complete mistrust towards all men' in her, but at the same time I want her to make great choices. I know she will.

I sent my wish list to a few people last week. Frankly it's becoming more difficult to pinpoint what I would like to get since God has blessed me with so much already. We're planning a vacation to New Mexico next spring which I could use frankly. Vacations are by far one of the most undervalued commodities in this world. People who don't take them find themselves waking up one morning burned out. Not me. I haven't gone out of town for a week in over 2 years. Hopefully that will all change in the coming years.

The worst gift I ever received? Ehh...I never consider any gift 'bad' per se, since the word gift means "from the heart"...I think it does anyway. I could be wrong. There have been some clothes I didn't care for, but that was a long time ago. People seem to know what I need to wear better then I do ha ha. Used to love getting, now I enjoy getting.

No comments: