Saturday, May 09, 2009

"Communion Time...Is Here..."

Yes, after much ado and planning, Emily has officially had her first Communion! I think it means she is a full-fledged member of the church now. What really worked out was she didn't get to have the ceremonial wine associated with Communion because of the swine flu that's going around. She had tasted it before as a pre-cursor warm-up to the big day. I had told her it tasted like bitter salt before she ever tried it and sure enough, that was her reaction as well. Here is a pic of Emmy in her lovely white dress:

Emily's First Communion 5-3-09
A lot of Cari's family flew/drove/sailed in to catch this event too. Was nice to see Uncle Paul again. Here is a pic that I had them pose for specifically:

Emily's first Communion 5-3-09
At some point, the two of them began calling each other "Mr. Ketchup" and "Mrs.
Mustard". Can you see the props I added? I bet ya can. I also made a video of Zach and Paul playing harmonica and guitar, respectively. Check out the "Zach Clark Band":



What's funny is now Emmy wants to go to church now that she feels like she's an actual part of the whole picture now. I grew up in a house where going to church wasn't really up to us. We went. Week after week, we went. While I hold no ill will towards the person or persons who made us go, I wonder how I wold have turned out if I had hardly or never went at all. I would probably think something was missing and be like those people who go on life-affirming missions and vacations trying to "find themselves". I'm probably not as religious as most people, but I have a plan for myself and my family and it's good to know where I'm going when I'm no longer here. Our lives are so temporary, it's hard to accept any permanence. Now I'm not done living by any means, but in my mind I imagine myself at 60, 70, 80 and it feels like it's right around the corner. I feel the same as I did when I was 15 though. Insecure sometimes, not really feeling like an "adult". But I guess I am. I sat with my grandfather at Mac's and he really didn't say much. I guess when you're almost 87 doing anything becomes a bit of a struggle. Am I going to be like that when I'm that old? My mind is always racing and thinking of different things and never really settling into a routine, so part of me thinks no. Of course, things change, and people change, even if we don't want to think about it.

No comments: