Friday, July 03, 2009

"They Always Come In 3's..."

Deaths, I mean.

Always in 3's.

Ed McMahon...Farrah Fawcett...Michael Jackson. Two of these were inevitable. Ed was 86 and Farrah had Stage Four cancer, but Michael Jackson? I don't think anyone saw that one coming. But what is the connection? What common link do these three share? We may never know. But hearing about them conjured up some memories for yours truly. Let's start with:

Ed McMahon:

The year was 1996. October 2nd, 1996 to be precise. I remember that day because it was about 1am and I couldn't sleep. The reason why? I was making myself laugh. It was that day that I realized that I had a pretty good sense of humour and considered being a stand-up comedian. I wonder whatever happened to that dream...ah well. Anyways, Ed McMahon was one of the first impressions I learned and that was probably the start of it all.

Michael Jackson:

The year was 1982, and Thriller had just come out. Some channel aired this special on all of his videos and we had taped it. Well, one day Grandma was watching me and my sister and we brought the tape with us to watch. Well, as he was singing "Beat It", we were singing along to it (as well as the rest of the world I'm sure) and when Michael sang "Showin' How Funky Strong Is Your Fight..." and for some reason Grandma thought they were saying the F-word. Well, I tried to explain they weren't saying it but she wouldn't have any part of it. I was branded a heathen for life. Some things never change I guess eh?

Farrah Fawcett:

Um, no real memories of her. I was too young to enjoy that great red poster of her back then. I could never stand "Charlie's Angels" and that movie she was in, "Dr T And The Women" literally stole two hours from my life that I will never get back. Ever. If you ever wondered what the worst movie ever made was, this was it.

Then, after these three passed away, we hear about uber-pitchman Billy Mays dying of what at first was thought to be a head injury after getting knocked out on a plane, THEN as it turns out it was his heart that gave out due to a lifelong condition. He was loud, sure, but he seemed like a nice guy. THEN, former NFL quarterback Steve McNair gets shot and killed a year after he retired from football. Murdered. Geez, what a week yes? Now we're just waiting for taxes to start going out of control. You know...because those would be the two things that are inevitable?

To end on a bright note, we had a great 4th of July weekend!! We got to see fireworks not once, but twice! Once at the Highlands on July 3rd, then again at the Ballpark on July 4th! Kids loved them. On the 3rd we even got a treat! I opted for a Coldstone Creamery cone (as did Zach and Emmy) while Cari got a Jamba Juice. I made a choice but now I have to go get a Jamba Juice just so I don't miss out on amnything ha ha. I'm so needy. Bet ya didn't know guys were so needy.

Fireworks @ The Highlands 7-3-09
"ooooh...ahhh..."

No comments: