Friday, July 02, 2010

"Emmy Goes To Camp"

Yes, she had her very first week-long stay-away camp last week! She had done overnight camps before but never like this. I know parents always dream about shipping their kids off for a while to have some peace and quiet, but the hard part was at night, not saying good night to her. Zach sure loved the attention he got ha ha. A couple of pix:

Camp Stevens 2010
Emmy(in the green shirt): "Why do we have to make these hats again?"
Counselor: "So that your hair won't fall in the meals that you have to volunteer to cook!"
Emmy: "We...have to...volunteer...?"
Counselor: "You want to sleep in the woods or in your bed?"
Emmy: "Sign me up."

Camp Stevens 2010
Girls on the left: "If you leave me now...you'll take away the biggest part of me..."
Songleader: "Take it Emily!"
Emmy: "Wooo ooo ooooh baby please don't go..."
Emmy: "Um, I didn't know Chicago wrote camp songs..."

Three day weekend babee!! We're going to six Flags tonight then Sunday night we're having a cook-out then to the Highlands for some fireworks! If you know me at all, you know how much I love fireworks. Brings back memories of when I was a kid and we would go up to the junior high and watch them with the rest of Duncanville. Small town, I know.

Lately I've come to the conclusion that we are just like any other species. We're born, we exist, we die. It really doesn't matter what we do or what we accomplish as it is only temporary. I hate to think like that, but lately I can't think about anything else. I want to be able to retire when I'm older and so far according to my 401K that seems to be attainable. I also want to be on good terms with ye olde kids as they become adults. Emmy and I went to Chick Fil A this morning and just had a good old conversation about driving, careers, and the imprtance of leaving the house cell phone at home and not taking it with you to camp, which she tried to do and I had to go and get it from her. Some lessons have to be learned the hard way. The nut (Emmy) sure doesn't fall far from the tree (me). Anything I learned as a kid was always after I had screwed up in the first place. Must be a genetic thing.

No comments: