Friday, April 10, 2009

"Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!"

Who said that? Shakespeare? Nope. Stephen King? Guess again. It was the Three Stooges, and rumour has it a big-screen movie is going to be made about their life on and off-screen. Now granted, it's been a while since I relished waking up at the crack of dawn to watch Moe, Larry and (fill in the blank) do what they do best, which is (ineptly) run a business and slap the stuffing out of each other. While YouTubing, I found this clip of them running a dental practice:



Good times.

I have a VHS five-pack of their best work:

Three Stooges VHS 5-pk
Three Stooges VHS 5-pk
And a DVD box set best of, which I must have packed away somewhere.

And a collector's set of bobbleheads:

Three Stooges Bobbleheads
Three Stooges Bobbleheads
Now the notion was that the Stooges were primary aimed at guys and kids since we all seem to think the same things are funny. And it's true. But I find it hard to believe that a few chicks out there wouldn't fall down and laugh at the sight of people getting poked in the eyes over and over or being hit in the head by something that normal people wouldn't think of as bludgeoning instruments. I know I do. I remember waking up one morning at 6:30am just to watch the 15 or 20 minutes they would allow on KTXA21. I go in the living room and my dad's in there...asleep. To this day I'll never know if he was pretending to be asleep in there or if he was waiting to watch the same thing I was. I think he was embarrassed to have someone catch him watching this "comedy" and laid down and closed his eyes real fast. Little did he know he (may have) put on a big show for nothing.

Moe and Larry from 1974
I found this picture on Wikipedia of the last picture taken of Moe and Larry together. It was around 1970 and man, it kind of spooked me a little. This was the first time I had seen them...well...old. I guess it is inevitable that we all have to grow old and then die. I have been struggling with the idea that we work our whole lives for something only to leave it all behind. When people go into a depression it usually revolves around, "What is the point of it all?" And on many levels, they're right. But we were put here for a reason, right? I had always told myself that the secret of life was to value and appreciate each day, not necessarily as if it were our last, but just to not let a day go by and not be satisfied with what you had accomplished that day. Most of our days we really don't accomplish anything. We work, come home, eat dinner and go to bed. And, repeat the process over and over. I'm sure a lot of us have dreams and ambitions that will more then likely never be realized. I guess it's easier when we convince ourselves we never had a chance anyway, so why subject yourself to rejection? I'm such a downer sometimes.

No comments: