Thursday, August 28, 2008

"Just A Penguin..."

...or was he more? My answer has always been: yes he was! Opus the Penguin first came into pop culture in 1983 (give or take) and has managed to hang around for almost an eternity. He was prominently featured in the "Bloom County" comic strip and is now in his own strip (which the Star-Telegram does not feature argh!). Suprisingly, YouTube had a clip of him, so here it is:



Good stuff eh? Well, when I was about 11 or 12 my dad had two of the books published by the author Berke Breathed and for some reason I thought they were hilarious. Now this was kind of adult humour. Not the raunchy kind, but the kind where if you didn't know who they were talking about you were in the dark. But not me. I saw the forest for the trees and laughed away. Christmas 1986 I got an Opus of my very own:

Opus
Opus
He used to have a Christmas hat (just like in the clip) but being a curious kid I just had to see what was underneath, and if you think I was more then a little disappointed, you are correct sir. But I have hung onto him for more then 20 years, so you can probably guess he means a lot to me.

So anyways...I took Dad's books with me one day for whatever reason and actually left them where I was! I didn't realize for like a week and by that time there was no use in trying to reclaim them. But I never forgot about them and swore I would get them back.

Fast forward to August 8, 2008 (08-08-08 for you math majors). I get off early from work and on the way to my mom's house, I stop by Half-Price Books just to 'look around'. I make my way to the humour section and there they are...the books I had lost years and years ago. Not the original ones, mind you, but the exact same ones! And better yet, they're cheap as heck. So I get them and when I started reading them it was like being a kid again.

Loose Tails
Penguin Dreams & Stranger Things
There's too many story lines to get into specifics, but they have entertained me for the last three weeks in my own...personal...office. What's funny now is, Dad claims that they were Mom's and Mom claims they are Dad's! Makes me wonder how they got into our house exactly. Something a bit...thought provoking for yours truly yes? Maybe I should head to the office to figure this one out...

Opus 25 Years

No comments: