Thursday, October 16, 2014

"Now, To Be Fair..."

Get it? We went to the fair? No? Nothing? Fine, let's move on... On October 4, Dad, Keri and I went to the State Fair Of Texas! It was such a nice day out and the rest of the family was in New Mexico at a wedding. I think Keri goes every year, but I hadn't been in over 15 years, so the whole thing was all new to me. The first ride we went on was the giant ferris wheel I sometimes see when I drive through Dallas:

State Fair Of Texas 10-4-2014

Pretty high up there. Turns out Dad has a slight fear of heights...or enclosed spaces...one of them. Well, this ride has it all! We managed to enjoy our time off the ground:

State Fair Of Texas 10-4-2014

Apparently it was the "cheesy smile" hour or something.

Now, time for a snack...

State Fair Of Texas 10-4-2014

This was supposed to be a combination of pecan pie and ice cream but I think we got something else. It had blueberries, fried dough and white chocolate chips. Was still really good!

State Fair Of Texas 10-4-2014

Chicken fried bacon! Yep...not enough nitrates in bacon, let's deep fry it and serve it with ranch and honey mustard. Yep...still really good though.

State Fair Of Texas 10-4-2014

Yep...just a couple of studs, chillin' out.

State Fair Of Texas 10-4-2014

Dad: "I'm telling you son, I give the best massages!! Trust me!"

Me: "Um...it's not that I believe you, it's just...um..."

Dad: "What? What is it? Is there something I can do?"

Me: "Yeah...NOT RUB ME DOWN would be great!"

Dad: "You don't know what you're missin'..."

Me: "I'm okay with that."

The whole weekend was marred by a huge branch that fell out of our tree! I spent about half the weekend cutting, sawing, and lifting. Was worn out. Fortunately John and I managed to get it cut down and carried to the curb. Of course, it was not without a casualty. A giant branch fell and knock John off the ladder and he fell back and landed on his foot and broke it! In hindsight we realized we should have cut smaller parts first then gone after the bigger ones. Who knows, the same thing would have happened maybe?

Really enjoyed myself at the fair though. Was nice to hang out with family and not quibble and bicker like some families tend to do. Will have to make more of an effort to make time for people.

No comments: