Friday, May 25, 2012

"Fields Of Gold!"

Gold? Well, if you consider dried grass as gold, then yeah! This is the time of year when Emily participates in JB Little's annual field day! She's been doing it every year since first grade so why stop now? A few pix:

Emily Field Day 5-18-2012
The point of this event was to make a daisy chain and get the hula hoop from the first person to the last before anyone else. Emmy's class came in third. Ah well. Not whether you win or lose, right? Unless you're Vince Lombardi.

Emily Field Day 5-18-2012
Emily: "Wow Dad, did you see how far I threw it?"
Me: "Well, yeah, but the softball is behind you. You actually threw a rock into a parking lot full of cars..."
Emily: "Ohhh...is this gonna be a problem?"
Me: "Nah...unless you happen to hit-"
***CRASH*** Me: "RUN!!!!"

Emily Field Day 5-18-2012
She even did the 60 yard dash!! I had no idea she even signed up for it. Us Overalls weren't built for the marathons, but the sprints can be won by us sometimes.

And...the "We Are The Champions" shot:
Emily Field Day 5-18-2012

I always use a couple of sick days to see her field day and also to get some fix-it jobs done around the house. I managed to get all of the holes in the walls filled in, now I just need to paint them. I also managed to finish putting the floor tiles on the kids' bathroom! Took FIVE hours to do it. And I didn't even have that much to finish. What took so long was getting the toilet up. There was a nut that would not come off. Man I hate that. But it was worth getting it finished. Friday night we went and saw The Avengers!! Man this was one great movie. The Hulk literally stole the show. And he was only in two scenes! Turns out everyone wanted to see this at Studio Movie Grill, and I mean everyone, so Zach had to sit in my lap the whole time, but it was all good. Emmy sat in the seats in front of us and got the frozen hot chocolate while Zach and I shared the brownie sundae. We tore it up is all I can say.

Not to go out of order, but Thursday I took my mom out to lunch for Mother's Day at one of the finest restaraunts in Los Colinas, McDonalds! Her idea, not mine. I got her the new Norah Jones CD and framed picture of her and Zach when she came to see his T-Ball game:
Mom and Zach At Zach's T-Ball Game 5-5-2012
Not bad eh?

Friday I managed to make my way up to the school and had lunch with both Zach and Emmy:
Having Lunch with Emily 5-18-2012
Lunch With Zach 5-18-2012
Braums, where else? Perfect place actually. They're 1 minute from the school.

Now how do we top a weekend like that? Relaxing? Nah. Red Kane Park! We woke up on Sunday morning and made our way out there since we had only been there once before:

Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
Zach: "Hey Dad, take my picture!"
Me: "Okay, one minute. This lens is acting up. It's making you look all short and furry."
Zach: "That's not me! That's a squirrel!"
Me: "What the...you're right! Wow, the resemblance is uncanny!"

Speaking of squirrels...
Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
Now THAT'S a squirrel! All of the animals in this park are very brave and will take food right out of your hand if you let him. For example:
Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
Turns out ducks will eat anything, even the donut right out of your hand. Zach found that one out the hard way.

We managed to take some cool family shots:
Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
I just noticed this, but it looks like Zach is holding a baby duck!

Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
This shot I like for the simple fact that the two of them aren't fighting like crazy! They seem to have accelerated this behaviour in the last couple of months. I should be worried, but...who doesn't do that these days?

And now...some of the wildlife I managed to snap:

Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
This was by far the loudest goose ever. He kept chasing us but when we approached him he ran off like a scaredy cat.
Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
I thought this was a pretty cool duck, with the green plumage and everything...
Red Kane Park 5-20-2012
Just three ducks hanging out by the lake...not a care in the world...I know a lot of people who would love to live life like that. Zach went up to them and all three of them flew away real slow over the pond. I would have loved to have gotten a picture of that!

Was a really fun weekend. Normally they go by in a rushed haze of games and meals, but this one was four days of accomplishments and fun things to do. Not enough of those in our lives sometimes. I guess it all depends on what we want to make time for. Sometimes we have a choice, sometimes not. But nothing lasts forever...even cold November rain. Quote Axl Rose on that one.

No comments: