Friday, January 30, 2009

"Is He Ready?"


Well, if this video is any indication, then heck yeah! Conan O'Brien is about to move from his lousy 12:35 EST time slot to a not-as-lousy 11:35 EST time slot to take over Jay Leno as host of the Tonight Show! And man, not a moment too soon. Leno seems to have run his course and is wise to turn things over to someone whose ideas can only be described as ridiculous to the point of hilarity. You always know when Leno has a say in something on the show when he is cracking up and no one else is. The truth is, I'm not even a hardcore fan of his show, but I thought he made the Simpsons the funniest show around. Who knoew that when I was watching Saturday Night Live back in 1991 when Tom Hanks became a member of the "Five-Timers Club" that a young (and unknown) O'Brien would be Sean, the doorman. It seems to be the stuff he does away from his show that always makes me crack up. I remember when he first came on in 1994 he had David Letterman on and man, talk about being uncomfortable. Dave looked like he would pay someone $1,000 to kidnap him and get him the heck out of there. Heck, I wanted someone to get me out of there too! But he figured out what needed to be changed, what needed to be kept the same, and now look at him.

Cari hasn't felt good this week at all. And, since we share a home, chances are I'll have it before long. The eternal question is...if you could change one thing about the way your body works, what would it be and why? If you were an amputee, the easy answer would be to have your limb(s) back. If you were deaf, your hearing back, blind, your sight back, etc. For me...I would eliminate the need for sleep. Just imagine how productive we would be if we weren't unconscious a third of our lives. I started thinking about this back in 1993 when I was working nights and hated having to come home and sleep while everyone else was out there enjoying the fresh air. Fortunately, being 1/4 Venezuelan kept me somewhat tan even though I rarely saw the light of day. And now...my opinion of this still hasn't changed. I still hate getting tired and waking up tired.

I can't wait to break in our Six Flags passes this year. We had them in 2004 and really got our money's worth and plan to this year too. Each inch that Zach gets taller means more rides he can ride not only with us but by himself as well. He is certainly becoming his own person. He has this knack of saying things that are totally unexpected and cracking the room up. One of the more challenging things of being a dad is trying not to make it seem that the younger one can do whatever they want while the older one gets punished for doing the same thing. I get the feeling Emmy feels that way sometime, even if she won't admit it. I get upset with her more then Zach but that's just because she's older and knows more ways to not be a model kid. But I get upset with the boy too. Why are kids fascinated with their own bodily functions? It is just the funniest thing to them, esp. at the dinner table...(sigh)

So now, Jimmy Fallon takes over Conan's old spot. Personally I think he's funny, even if a lot of people don't. Seriously. Check his IMDB page! People think he's a terrible comedian. But I say nay nay. His Matrix/Sex And The City bit for the VMA's a while back was hilarious. I guess the moral of it all is: Never let people tell you what you can or cannot do. Oh they can try, yes they can. But they cannot succeed. You'd be surprised what a positive outlook on life will bring you into your life.

Here is a closing clip of Conan with one of the all-time greats:

No comments: