Thursday, August 12, 2010

"How Bout Them Rangers!"

Yes, our wonderful yet lowly Texas Rangers have an 8 1/2 game lead in the AL West and are all but assured of their first post-season appearance in eleven years! Normally people are fans as long as their team is doing well then fly the coop once the losing starts. But not me. I've always been a Rangers fan, through the good times (18%) and the bad (82%). There have been a few moments in Rangers history I was proud to either be a part of or know about. Here's one:



Isn't that cool! Now I'm not a big fan of physical fisticuffs to solve problems, and it doesn't look like anything got solved here. But man, I doubt Robin Ventura will ever show his face around here again.

Another:

When I was three we were at McDonald's and who happened to be there but the 1977 AL Rookie Of The Year Mike Hargrove. Dad happened to have his trusty camera and took a black n white picture of Mike signing a picture for me. For some reason I don't remember a lot about that day. Except having a hamburger Happy Meal...and there being too many pickles on the hamburger. That I remember crystal clear.

One more?:

1994: Kenny Rogers throws a perfect game and I happened to be there six rows behind the dugout to see all of it. Was so cool! Hadn't celebrated much since Nolan threw his 7th no-hitter. Too bad Kenny became such a jerk that we had no choice but to let him go. What happens when you assault a cameraman doing his job for no reason. Who does that?

It will be interesting to see what happens in October. We haven't had much reason to celebrate this month at the Ballpark In Arlington in over a decade. Will this be our year? Only time will tell. A lot of teams think we have what it takes to win it all. I'd SO be at that parade. Saving sick days helps!!

No comments: